Granada Theater is located in Lower Greenville, in Dallas, TX. The theater was built in 1946 as a movie house. In 1977 it was converted to a concert hall, only to revert to a movie theatre soon after. In 2004 it was again opened as a concert hall.
The Art Deco design of the Granada reflects the decadence of that Golden Era. The exterior was designed for function with rounded corners, stepped forms and linear accents that echoed the industrialized, streamlined designs of modern machinery, like automobiles. The interior decor employs the influence of ancient cultures. The murals were designed by the artist(s) who also worked on Los Angeles’ famous Grauman’s Chinese Theater. The grand scale murals depict different genres of film with the ceiling feature depicting a mythological “film goddess” standing over a reel of film. Fitting, since the Greeks gave us theater.